dyeing experiment – the results – and notes on Basil Twist

tea dye 2

Tada! Sorry, it’s not a very good picture. Actually… I’m not particularly pleased with how it came out. I think I used the wrong kind of fabric. I should track down cotton next time. Oh well… live and learn.

I’m just stressed out because, since my professor is on tour right now, Basil Twist is coming to our class to critique our work tomorrow. I’m a little intimidated by that prospect. Basil has done some really phenomenal work in the puppet world. I went to see his show Symphonie Fantastic in December, and it was possibly the most mesmerizing performance I have ever seen. His other claim to fame (which I like to tell people who have never heard of him) is that he worked on the most recent Harry Potter movie. The CGI of the Dementors was based on underwater puppets Basil built for them. And he is coming to see my work tomorrow… just a little bit nervous.

2 Responses to “dyeing experiment – the results – and notes on Basil Twist”

  1. mimi k says:

    Here is some more dyeing advise- Acrylic paints can be used for dyeing. They are very useful if you want a specific color and I think work better on synthetic fabrics. Mix up a color you like and really water it down- so it is like washy watercolors. Apply to your fabric with a wide brush or make enough so you can put the fabric in a shallow pan and get the fabric all wet. Squeeze out the excess moisture and let it dry. Iron it to set the color (or put it through the drier). The fabric should not stiffen- if it does you didn’t water it down enough. If it isn’t dark enough, you can build up the color by doing it again. If it is too dark, rinse it out before you let it dry.

  2. eleanor says:

    Thanks for all your help. I’ll keep that in mind when I try to do this next… which may be soon, who knows.

Leave a Reply